Search This Blog

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Team Work.


One week before the biggest football game in the United States, I want to talk about something that’s on all the players’ and fans’ minds. I promise to keep it short.

 Let me first say that I have never been a huge sports fan. Perhaps that’s because I was never a very coordinated child, and always got picked
last for teams. I tried my hardest to be a good athlete, but it just isn’t in my make up. I don’t have a competitive bone in my body. I do not comprehend violence. Also, I abhor pain. 


So early on I became the kind of person who enjoyed solo activities over those involving a group.

As life went on, however, I discovered that there are just some things one cannot accomplish alone.

A perfect example is my victory over homelessness. It took several people to accomplish that. I could not have done it on my won. I tried for several years, and failed in frustration. I am thankful every day for those who recognized my sincerity and effort and did their part to get me housed and safe.

Still, these fine folks were from several different, separate agencies. In some cases it took several years to accomplish each singular goal necessary to provide me with the help I needed.

I often wonder if the processes required to accomplish my reintegration might have been expedited by the consolidation, co-communication, and better cooperation between these individuals, and the their respective teams.

We eschew Big Government bureaucracy. We revile the loners in society. We regale our professional sports teams. Yet we often fail to work together, although our goals are closely related or identical. In recent months, I have reached out in my advocacy role to team up with other people and organizations, only to be met with suspicion or silence.

However, recently I have been blessed to be involved in some mutual efforts that are making a great difference. together, we are achieving our common goals of helping people. That feels great.

It is often hard to set aside our personal agenda and ego. Some of us have different ideas about how to reach the same finish line. We are human individuals and that is to be expected. With the various cultures, beliefs, opinions, and languages in our world it often amazes me that anyone can agree on anything whatsoever.

But we can. and when we do, we accomplish more. We help more people. We make a bigger, better change.

Hope your team wins.

Your Editor

Rio Grande Report™ on Facebook™

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment